Helping People Age With Dignity And Peace Of Mind
Patrick G. Curley
Patrick G. Curley, Certified Elder Law Attorney
Attorney Patrick G. Curley is an Elder Law and Asset Protection Specialist. He focuses his practice on protecting clients' families, homes, savings, and independence – whether planning in advance or in a crisis.
After graduating as Valedictorian from Wakefield Memorial High School, Patrick earned his undergraduate degree from Dartmouth College and his law degree in 1997 from the University of Michigan Law School, which is among the top 10 law schools in the country.
Patrick leads Curley Law Firm LLP, one of the premier Estate Planning and Elder Law firms in Massachusetts. Under Patrick's leadership, the firm has grown to include three Attorneys and four professional staff – with over 50 years of combined legal experience in Elder Law.
Patrick is among approximately two dozen Certified Elder Law Attorneys* in MA. He earned this prestigious distinction by completing a process that requires years of focused Elder Law and Estate Planning practice, a full-day national Bar-style Exam, extensive continuing legal education, and multiple peer references from other expert Elder Law and Estate Planning Attorneys.
Patrick has been selected for inclusion to Massachusetts Super Lawyers since 2011. Selections are made by Super Lawyers based upon peer nominations and research, comprehensive evaluation, and further peer review within the attorney's primary area of practice.
A volunteer member of the Board of Directors of the Massachusetts Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (MassNAELA), Patrick helps lead this distinguished organization of more than 500 attorneys focused on improving the lives of seniors and disabled individuals in Massachusetts. Patrick is a member of the leading local and national Elder Law and Estate Planning associations including National NAELA, Wealth Counsel (a national organization of Trust and Estate Attorneys who design sophisticated planning strategies), and Elder Counsel (a national organization of Medicaid and Asset Protection Planning Attorneys). He frequently participates in national and local conferences with the leading attorneys in the country. Because of his recognized expertise, Patrick is a frequent speaker, writer and television commentator on Elder Law and Estate Planning topics.
Patrick resides locally and especially enjoys his time with his wife, Erin, who is a public school teacher, and their children, Alan and Hannah.
*The National Elder Law Foundation (NELF) is the only national organization accredited by the American Bar Association to certify attorneys in Elder Law. NELF is a private organization, whose standards for certification are not regulated by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Current Employment Position
- Managing Partner
- Estate Planning 40%
- Elder Law, MassHealth Planning and Applications 50%
- Probate and Trust Administration 5%
- Conservatorship/Guardianship 5%
Certified Legal Specialties:
- Certified Elder Law Attorney, National Elder Law Foundation, 2008
- The University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- J.D. - 1997
- Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire
- A.B. - 1994
- London School of Economics – Dartmouth Foreign Study Program in Government
- Wakefield Memorial High School (Valedictorian)
- Massachusetts, 2003
- California, 1997
- Recognition and Commendation from Los Angeles Police Department, Board of Police Commissioners, and City of Los Angeles
- Eagle Scout Award
- Wakefield Historical Commission Preservation Award, 2005 - Present
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2011 - 2019
- Massachusetts Bar Association Pro Bono Spotlight Recognition, 2020 - Present
- President’s Award from Massachusetts Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (MassNAELA), 2019 - Present
Classes & Seminars
- Presenter, “How to Prepare for Retirement” with The MassBar Beat Podcast hosted by Jordan Rich (January 28, 2021)
- Panelist, MassNAELA educational webinar entitled “How In Marriage QDROs and Separate Support Complaints Can Save Your MassHealth Clients Money”. August 19, 2020
- Guest lecturer, “Legal, Financial and Demographic Topics” offered during five-session course entitled “Aging in the 21st Century: Public Policies and Personal Perspectives” at Salem State University’s Explorer Program (Fall 2019)
- Massachusetts Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, 2009 to Present
- Dignity Alliance, 2020 to Present
- Accelerated Cure Project, 2016 to Present
- Friends of Lynnfield Rail Trail, 2016 to Present
- Lynnfield Cub Scouts Pack 48 Volunteer Den Leader, 2016 to Present
- Shore School COVID-19 Task Force, 2020 to Present
- Big Brothers Program, 2006 to 2011
- Co-Author of the MassHealth (Medicaid) Chapter of the Massachusetts Bar Association’s annual “Elder Law Education Resource Guide” (2016 to Present)
- Author of “Home Care Options for Seniors” published April 2020 in various newspapers. The article educated readers about the option of qualifying for MassHealth community benefits to receive caregiver services in their own homes rather than in nursing homes. Because nursing homes were struggling with Covid-19 outbreaks, many seniors wish to received care in their own homes
- Author of “Protecting Society’s Most Vulnerable” published April 2020 in various newspapers. The article advised readers on how to become “self-advocates” for their loves ones in nursing homes and congregate living communities for purposes of securing clear information about Covid-19 infections, protocols, medical decision-making for loved ones, and visitation rights
- Author of “New SECURE Act impacts retirement account planning” published December 2019 in various newspapers
- Author of “MassHealth change negatively impacts “Life Estate” deeds” published September 2019 in various newspapers
- Massachusetts Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (MassNAELA), Volunteer Member, Board of Directors, 2003 to Present
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA), 2003 to Present
- Elder Counsel, Member
- Wealth Counsel, Member
- Massachusetts Bar Association, 2003 to Present
- Elder Counsel